It is easy to rejoice with someone who has surrendered their life to the Lord, but this is a critical time in their life when they desperately need more than our rejoicing, they need our guidance. We know that Satan will discourage them, and human nature causes people to doubt God has really called them to ministry.
A lot of the times a person who surrenders their life to the Lord needs help in preparing for genuine surrender. They may have heard an exciting message about surrendering their life to the Lord and the thought being in ministry sounded wonderful. Even when someone surrenders their life for full time service based on an emotional decision, we can view this as an opportunity to help that person in their walk with the Lord. Our help and guidance may very well lead to a genuine surrender decision.
How do we help a person who feels called to ministry?
We can work with them on an individually designed path called Life’s 6 Great S’s.
This chart will help you help the person who feels like God has called them to full time service. Go through each of the six decisions they need to make to see where they are on the chart. They will probably have some work in more than one of the decisions.
4) Separation – refusing to separate from the world leads to worldliness
- No one is ready to fully surrender their life to the Lord until they have separated from the world.
- An unseparated person has no real idea what they are surrendering to.
- Before a person can truly surrender to God’s call they must reject the system of this world and live a holy life.
- The world’s system is antigod.
- The world’s system is based on personal consumption not generous giving.
- The world’s system is about glorifying self not God.
- Start by asking them what old things have passed away and what things have become new since they became a believer. (II Corinthians 5:17)
- If they have been a believer for a while ask them how their life has changed in the last few months or years as they have matured in the Lord.
- A solid decision to life a holy separated life is necessary for genuine surrender.
5) Surrender – refusing to surrender leads to a self-centered life.
Once you are confident salvation, study of the Word, service and separation from the world decisions have been made, you are ready to help the person make a genuine surrender decision.
Verses that speak about what a disciple of Christ endures will drive off a person who is not saved, studying the Word, serving and separated from the world.
Verses that speak about what a disciple of Christ endures will cause a person God is calling to recognize the serious decision they are making.
- Philippians 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
- Acts 5:41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
- Matthew 10:34-39 – Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
- Philippians 3:11-14 – If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Verses on surrender let us know that living for Christ is despised by the world and will bring all kinds of persecution, from hatred to death.
Those who live a surrendered life must have separated from this world’s system and all it holds in high esteem.
- Philippians 3:8 – Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
While the goal is not to scare a person, we must present what real surrender looks like. A person who does not know what God’s Word tells us a disciple of Christ will face will run when the problems begin.
6) Soul winning – refusing to be a soul winner leads to selfish disobedience.
It is very common for a person to be a soul winner when they first become a believer.
They are excited they are on their way to heaven and they want all their friends and family to know Jesus too.
Once they run out of family and friends, their soul winning zeal begins to wane.
There is a decision to be a lifelong soul winner.
It is different than wanting to see the people they know saved.
This decision is to spend their life seeking and saving the lost.
The Apostle Paul became a lifelong soul winner and he was willing to go anywhere, do anything, and endure anything to seek and save the lost.
- I Corinthians 9:19-23
- II Corinthians 11:22-28
- An emotional decision does not transform s person into a saved, study of the Word, serving, separated, and soul winning Christian.
- Only a saved, studying the Word, serving, separated, surrendered soul winning Christian is ready for full time service.
- We have the privilege of being the first one to help that person that has surrendered their life to the Lord.
- Taking the time to walk a person through these decisions is time consuming and difficult, but the result is a person ready to be used of God in a mighty way.
“The world has yet to see what God can do with a man fully consecrated to him. By God’s help, I aim to be that man.” D.L. Moody
Leave A Comment