Steve Burkholder Missionary to Tanzania
As we discussed in the last blog, keeping one’s savor (saltiness) is necessary in order to remain effective in ministry. This is especially true for the foreign missionary as he does not have resources such as conferences, seminars, and fellowship meetings. That is why we started the SALT Conference.
The SALT Conference is a 5-day missionary enrichment conference for the whole family on the mission field where they serve. The purpose is to help missionaries stay “salty” through encouragement, fellowship, and fun.
A ministry team from a local church in the US is invited to minister to missionaries. Adults are taught by a seasoned pastor with a mission’s heart who encourages them with Biblical messages. One of the highlights of the adult sessions is the daily testimony time where missionaries share with each other the challenges and victories of daily life and ministry and pray for each other. A small team of youth workers minister to missionary young people in separate sessions in a youth group/camp environment with lessons, discussion, and games. The children’s ministry team focuses on younger missionary children in a VBS setting with lessons, songs, crafts, and games geared for their age. The whole group enjoys worshipping together, singing their favorite songs in English led by the ministry team. Fellowship during meals and free time, as well as group games and a special outing add to the fun of the week with something for everyone to enjoy . The conference ends with a talent show where the whole family can get involved and many memories are made.
The Lord is using the ministry of the SALT Conference in the lives of missionaries to keep them salty so they may remain effective on the mission field. Here are what some missionaries are saying about the SALT Conference…
- “The SALT Conference is the highlight of the year for our family.”
- “This year we have run into a crossroads in our ministry and we were really praying for direction and for the Lord to speak to us and this week at the SALT Conference God made clear to us what His will is for our lives.”
- “It’s such an awesome time to get together with people who understand us and share our struggles . . .”
- “We love the SALT Conference because of the fellowship we receive from other missionaries who serve here is so important and so nourishing to us.”
- “We love listening to the testimonies of those who are in the trenches with us.”
For more testimonies about the SALT Conference go to https://vimeo.com/388427092. For highlights of the 2019 SALT Conference in East Africa go to https://vimeo.com/388415615. For more information about the SALT Conference and how you and your church can get involved contact Steve Burkholder at firstname.lastname@example.org